As a law firm it will be necessary to collect personal information/data from clients and potential clients when dealing with general enquiries and or progressing a client’s case.
As we will collect, process and store information/data from you and or from third parties we are obliged under the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (“GDPR”) and the Data Protection Act 1998 to inform you of the information that we may collect, how we collect the information, the purpose, how we store the information and the length of time of storage.
Data can be:
- Personal information such as name, postal and email addresses, date of birth, telephone number etc
- Sensitive information (which is regarded as a special category of data) and includes such information relating to race, sex, politics, religion, health, travel, and criminal convictions etc.
How we collect personal data
We collect personal data in a number of ways and these include but are not limited to:
- When you contact us on the telephone in respect of an initial enquiry;
- When you email us with an enquiry;
- When you provide us with general background information prior to or during our retainer with you
- When you provide us with specific information during the course of our retainer
- When you leave a review on our website following the completion of your case;
- When you follow us on any social media channel such as LinkedIn.
Source of Information/data
- From yourself
- From third parties with whom we have an association with and who has referred us work to potentially act on your behalf.
- GP/Medical experts who provide us with personal information
Purpose /Reason for processing Data
Personal data may be collected for the purpose of:
- Fulfilling the terms under our retainer with you which may include liaising/corresponding with your employer/former employer, contacting and dealing with ACAS and/or the Employment Tribunal or other such necessary organisations.
- Providing legal advice and assistance to you;
- Complying with money laundering regulations
- Verifying your ID
- Communicating with you
- Contacting legal insurers to help secure legal funding for you;
- Instructing barristers/third parties to act on your behalf and or to obtain their expert opinion;
- To request medical records/reports from your GP/medical experts
Restricted Use of personal data
Only relevant personal data shall be taken from you for the necessary fulfilment of our services to you.
On receiving enquiries from potential clients by telephone or by email we will store personal information relating to your telephone number/email and postal address on our computer system for the purpose of communicating with you now and in the future.
Limited access to Data
- Data shall be processed and used by the allocated fee earner to your case and or by our staff when necessary
- Relevant data may also be used and stored by the following persons/organisations:
In all such cases we shall ensure that all external parties shall be GDPR compliant and observe the duty of confidentiality.
How we may use your data other than for the performance of the contract/retainer
- Direct and or indirect marketing
- To determine the effectiveness of the type of advertising undertaken.
Storage of data
We shall retain your personal data for as long as necessary for the purpose for which the personal data is processed.
In most cases following the completion of your matter it will be necessary to retain your data for up to 7 years to comply with any contractual and or statutory obligations such as dealing with any complaints/claims that may arise.
Right to request a copy of your data
Under the GDPR you are entitled to request a copy of your personal data which we hold on you such as your name, address, date of birth etc. If you require a copy of your personal data you must contact Thushara Polpitiye or by email at email@example.com
Complaints about the use of personal data
If for whatever reason you are unhappy on how we have processed or used your data then you can raise a complaint to Thushara Polpitiye who will take steps to investigate the matter for you. Our data protection officer is Thushara Polpitiye at firstname.lastname@example.org